Thursday, November 26, 2009

You're Beautiful

I think it's about time that I blogged about You're Beautiful. Afterall, it was my obsession for the last few weeks, and it's now my #3 favorite drama after coffee prince and shining inheritance. I'll also take this time to discuss other shows, namely Glee. Dang. This is gonna be one long post. Haha.

So, I don't usually get into dramas that much simply because I'm not the type of person who "believes" (can't think of a better word) in that kind of stuff. Like, most people are surprised when I say I like Kpop and Kdramas because they don't think of me as someone who involves herself in that kind of world. And they're right. All the dramas I've liked, I've liked for having something extra that goes beyond the usual mushy, love-centered scripts. You're Beautiful is one of these. :] Yay! Analysis time!

I think the two prominent aspects of "You're Beautuful" that I like are the characters and the plot. First, the CHARACTERS. Oh my gosh. The characters are genius. MINAM: (The fake one. The real one is too insignificant for me to care about. Haha.). I love her personality... Park Shin Hye was remarkable. I like how she remains feminine even though she has to pretend she's a guy. I was a bit critical at first because I expected her to act a bit more guyish, but I'm glad they kept her the way she is. I love how dense she is and how her character develops as she learns more and more about the world. TAE KYUNG: He was a great character as well. So funny and such a likeable jerk. I really liked his development as well because he learns to think of others instead of only thinking about himself. SHIN WOO: My least favorite character. Haha. He was still a very good actor and stuff, but I just didn't like how his character stayed the creepy emo stalker throughout. JEREMY: This guy gave me such a big surprise in episode 14! I always liked him since he's so cute and stuff, but I expected him to stay a background character. I'm glad he got more spotlight with his bus scene because my respect for Hong Ki went up soooo much afterwards! I think he had the most dramatic growth which makes him my 2nd fav (after Minam). HEYI: She did such a good job of making everyone hate her! Haha. She was so good at the evil role that I don't even like UEE in real life. Why'd she pick a villain role for her first drama?? Haha.

Next, THE PLOT. The script was what made the drama so great. First of all, the main character's a NUN who becomes a member of an idol band. That's pretty hardcore. Haha. And Tae Kyung is the cliche arrogant boy who has many hidden scars, yet his personality is so unique. Then there's Jeremy who thinks he likes a guy and comes to accept it, but then is so happy when he finds out Minam is a girl. LOL this should all be in the Characters section. I also love all the little highlights in the drama. When Minam sings with emotions for the first time when Tae Kyung enters the room. Minam's manager's fantasies. The pig nose pressure point. The fan club membership test. JEREMY'S BUS SCENE. The fanfic of the A.N.Jell Boys. The Sorry Sorry dance. Gah.

Going with the plot thing, there were so many symbols! I loved it! They gave alot of depth to the drama. Like, how Shin Woo wants to use a mirror to confess to Minam, but ends up having to use shadows. The shadows can't show the people as clearly as mirrors can, so even if he says that the shadow of Minam is who he loves, she can't see that it's her (not sure if that made sense). Then, there's the stars and moon thingy. It's somehow established that Minam is the moon and Tae Kyung is a star, which works out perfectly. The only thing in the night sky Tae Kyung can see is the moon and the moon needs the Sun (a star) to shine brightly. I can't think of any more, but there were ALOT! I felt like I was annotating some book for English cause in my head, I'd be like, "Oh! Symbol! Metaphor! Simile! Motif!"

I think the most important thing was the acting. The acting was impeccable. I really enjoyed watching Park Shin Hye, she's got herself a new fan. She acted with everything she had.. even her eyes got into character.

I hope no one reads this blog cause it would be a waste of time. Haha.

Anyway, I'm gonna shift over to Glee now! At first, I just watched it for the songs cause they're good at singing. I didn't think it was funny at all like others said it was. But recently, I've begun to really appreciate it because it touches on various subjects and the characters are actually developing. I still don't think it's funny, but I like its depth. Like how Sue showed a whole different side of herself with her sister, who has some sort of illness. Or how there was a deaf choir who showed their courage by singing (off-key). And how Finn and Quinn learn to grow up thanks to their baby. Finn loves Rachel and Quinn loves Puck (? haha I don't know his name) but they both know their responsibilities and stay with each other. And although I'm a bit homophobic and don't support gay marriage and stuff, I like Kurt's character because it touches a taboo subject. I like the Asians ("Asian" and "Other Asian" LOL) because although they're misfits, they add color. Haha. I like the wheelchair guy cause how many other shows have wheelchair guys?? Haha. I think Glee is really helping to spread respect and tolerance. :]

Whoever said media would fry our brainsis stupid. Of course, too much media is bad. But, a small dose of it can help widen our view to a bigger and deeper world.

1 comment: