Thursday, March 18, 2010

We Just Cliqued.

Yay for puns. Not really.

BTW, I deleted election posts since their overrrrrrrrr. The results are sorta obvious. I'm hoping there will be a few surprises in the announcements, but, like I said, it's obvious.

I just read Carolyn's blog which reminded me of cliques! I could go on and on about cliques.. but I'll try to keep it short cause I'm tired and hungry.

Cliques suck.

Umm I dunno. It's hard to write about such a complex topic. Alright, so our grade consists of like 120 people (?), right? And from that 120, I feel comfortable talking with like 80. And just because I'm ok with talking with them doesn't mean they're ok with talking to me. Haha. Idk, I think I'd be okay with cliques if they were more of a "these are my closest friends" kind of thing rather than a "don't come near us" thing. I'm ok with people wanting to hang out with their closest friends as long as that cliques doesn't create barriers. Like the clique that only has guys in it.. they're pretty approachable. They're really shy and awkward when you do, but they're not intimidating. Some groups though, they're REALLY intimidating. It's like they're forming a wall around them. Seriously, I think that if they could, they wouldn't talk to anyone else but themselves. It's so irritating. Why would you want to limit your views like that? Is it so hard to just talk to someone else?

Being super clique-y is SO bad for you. Like, people automatically see you as judgmental, arrogant, closed-minded, etc.  AND, it doesn't let you learn what you're supposed to learn in school: social skills. For example, the "Korean" group. Well, they're pretty much a group of Koreans that don't hang out with anyone else. I talked to one of them one day, and she didn't know the names of any of the Indians in our grade. And then she proceeded to spew out stereotypical views on Indians. WTF. If you've gone to school with someone for 5 years, you should at least know their name. In addition, you should TRY to learn their culture. What's going to happen if someone from the "Korean" group gets an Indian boss in the future? They're not going to know HOW to deal with their boss because they've failed to widen their scopes. The same thing happens in VICE VERSA as well. The "Korean" group is considered popular, right? Well there are people in our grade who don't even know their NAMES. I have a friend who says "Which one's that again?" whenever she hears the name of one of the Korean group people. She says they all look the same and always travel together, so she can't distinguish between them. Isn't that sad? They've failed to make enough of an impression on people that a few don't even know their names! After 5 years! I don't mean to just pick on them.. especially because I'm friends with a few of them.. but you gotta admit that when you hear the word "clique" and you're a junior at Oxford, you think of the Korean group.

Man, I really want to become friends with everyone in our grade, but it's pretty scary when most of them are so clique-y.

What scares me even more, though, is that someone might want to be friends with me, but they're too scared to approach me. I'm not really in a clique, but what if it looks like I am to someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment